MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. —Raj Reddy will be presented with the Computer History Museum (CHM) Fellow Award at a virtual event on June 24, 2021 for his groundbreaking work as an esteemed professor and researcher in artificial intelligence (AI), robotics and computer science, and a world leader in speech recognition. AI experts and innovators from the US and Asia will honor Reddy and his accomplishments through short tributes, impact stories, and examples from innovators and storytellers around the world. This year’s Fellow Awards is presented by headline sponsor Accenture.
- Janet Baker, Cofounder, Dragon Systems
- James Baker, Cofounder, Dragon Systems
- Gordon Bell, Researcher Emeritus, Microsoft Corporation, and 2003 Fellow
- Natarajan Chandrasekaran, Chairman of the Board, Tata Sons
- Claire Delaunay, Vice President of Engineering, NVIDIA
- Paul Daugherty, Group Chief Executive, Technology & CTO, Accenture
- James Gosling, Computer Scientist, and Technology Firm Distinguished Engineer
- John Hennessy, James F. and Mary Lynn Gibbons Professor of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, Stanford School of Engineering
- Xuedong Huang, Microsoft Technical Fellow, and Chief Technology Officer Azure AI
- Edward Feigenbaum, 2012 Fellow and AI pioneer
- Farnam Jahanian, President and Henry L. Hillman President’s Chair, Carnegie Mellon University
- Alan Kay, President, Viewpoints Research Institute and Computer Scientist
- Ed Lazowska, Professor, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Chair emeritus, Paul G. Allen School of Computer Science & Engineering, University of Washington
- Kai-Fu Lee, Chairman & CEO, Sinovation Ventures and President, Sinovation Ventures Artificial Intelligence Institute
- Dan’l Lewin, President & CEO, Computer History Museum
- Yunhe Pan, Vice President, Chinese Academy of Engineering, Computer Scientist, University Leader
- Andy van Dam, Professor of Computer Science, Brown University
- Talithia Williams, Professor of Mathematics, Harvey Mudd and Cohost, PBS Series NOVA Wonders
Raj Reddy will receive the 2021 CHM Fellow Award for his lifetime of work in artificial intelligence, robotics, and computer science education. Following the ceremony, innovators and AI experts from the US and Asia will explore the ongoing impact of Reddy’s work today, discuss how it can be applied to empower humanity, and offer insights on what the future may hold. The CHM Fellow Awards Program honors distinguished technology pioneers—unsung heroes and legends—for their outstanding merits and significant contributions to the advancement of computing and the evolution of the digital age. The program is supported with collecting, education, research, and media efforts that reflect the seminal work of each Fellow and preserves their stories for future generations. Fellows are selected annually through a public nomination process.
CHM is celebrating the 2021 Fellows in a yearlong four-part series of thought-provoking virtual events and engaging digital content that explores the story and impact of each honoree and the present and future of tech for humanity.
Thursday, June 24, 2021
4:15 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. PDT
- 4:15 p.m. PDT
Backstage with Raj Reddy
Join a live backstage conversation with Fellow Raj Reddy hosted by Stanford’s John Hennessy and get the inside scoop on his 20-year journey pioneering cutting-edge AI technology, mentoring thousands of students, and building groundbreaking institutions. Hear personal stories from close colleagues, such as speech recognition pioneers James and Janet Baker and computer scientist Alan Kay. Experience a private demo of the PDP-1 computer that enabled Reddy to launch his work in speech recognition and learn how he thinks AI can help solve some of today’s most pressing global problems.
- 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. PDT
Award Ceremony and Program
Be inspired by visionary computer scientist Raj Reddy as we honor and celebrate his lifetime of work in artificial intelligence, speech recognition, institution building, and technology to empower humanity with the 2021 CHM Fellow Award. CHM CEO Dan’l Lewin and AI experts Kai-Fu Lee and Yunhe Pan will offer remarks and tributes, AI pioneer Ed Feigenbaum will present the award, and Reddy will share his personal reflections on becoming a Fellow.
- Impact Stories
Innovators in the US and Asia, such as Tata Chairman Natarajan Chandrasekaran, Microsoft AI Azure CTO Xuedong Huang, and Carnegie Mellon President Farnam Jahanian will explore the on-going impact of Reddy’s work. They’ll discuss how AI can empower humanity and imagine what the future holds.
The full program will be broadcast with the option for translation:
Friday, June 25, 2021
7:00 pm Beijing time (11:00 UTC): China (Mandarin)
7:00 pm Mumbai time (13:30 UTC): India (Hindi)
This event will be held online in CHM’s virtual venue. Please RSVP to gain access.
Carina Sweet, firstname.lastname@example.org, (650) 810-1059
The Computer History Museum’s (CHM) mission is to decode technology--the computing past, digital present, and future impact on humanity. From the heart of Silicon Valley, we share insights gleaned from our research, our events, and our incomparable collection of computing artifacts and oral histories to convene, inform, and empower people to build a better world.