Classification: Fulltime, Exempt, Onsite
Location: Mountain View
The Computer History Museum is looking for a customer-focused, mission-driven Senior Manager of Museum Services. The ideal candidate is an experienced, effective manager who has the highest standards for customer service. As the Senior Manager of Museum Services, you will play a crucial role in ensuring that every visitor to CHM feels welcomed and has a delightful and educational experience during their visit. This is an exempt position reporting to the Senior Director of Museum Services and Sales.
General Management of Museum Services
- Recruit, train and supervise the Museum Services staff in practical operations for all visitor-facing services.
- Facilitate a clear understanding of all the Museum’s offerings among team members. Ensure all those in visitor-facing roles create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere for all visitors and adhere to the Museum’s standards and operating procedures.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and support to ensure staff members are equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to provide excellent service. Responsible for ensuring consistent and high-quality service delivery in all visitor interactions. This involves setting clear service standards, providing training on best practices, regularly monitoring staff performance and providing feedback and support for improvement.
- Monitor visitor feedback to identify areas for improvement. Ensure any complaints or conflicts are resolved promptly and satisfactorily. Respond to guests’ comments as needed.
- Remain up to date on Museum exhibitions, events, and other offerings, and ensure that team members are well-equipped to provide visitors with accurate and helpful information.
- Create and maintain effective and efficient scheduling processes for staff and contractors, ensuring the Museum is properly staffed for public hours and special events outside these hours.
- Work closely with the technology and operations teams to maintain ticketing and reservation systems, ensuring CHM has efficient processes that put audience needs first for purchasing tickets, group reservations, and membership services.
- Collaborate with department leadership and other executive staff members on ticketing and membership pricing strategies, including ticketing discounts and membership benefits.
- Oversee group reservations, working closely with the Museum Services Supervisor and Volunteer Coordinator to ensure bookings are executed smoothly and visitors receive excellent service.
- Work closely with safety and security personnel to understand and implement the Museum’s emergency response plans, evacuation procedures, and crisis management protocols to ensure preparedness and effective response in emergency situations.
- Work closely with the Retail and Merchandising manager in all aspects of the store's daily operations, including inventory management, visual merchandising, pricing, and sales.
- Support the Development (fundraising) team, helping ensure donor needs are met.
Reception Desk & Administrative Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Finance staff on Museum policies related to reporting and cash-handling.
- Work closely with Business Operations and Human Resources staff to evaluate and maintain Museum Services policies and procedures. Ensure standard operating procedures are documented, updated, and communicated consistently.
- Work closely with Business Operations staff to ensure data is reported accurately and in a timely manner.
- Ensure direct reports have the training they need to do their jobs effectively. Implement effective performance management techniques, provide guidance and feedback, and ensure employees have regular performance reviews.
- Effectively operate ticketing, CRM (Customer Relationship Management) and sales systems in accordance with the Museum’s standard operating procedures. This includes keeping visitor information up to date.
- Continually look for ways to improve efficiency and effectiveness in Museum operations and work cross-functionally to implement them.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Excellent written, verbal and communication skills.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office: Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and Outlook Experience using Salesforce a plus.
- Customer-focused, team-oriented, and with strong interpersonal skills.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience managing a team in a customer service environment.
- Experience in a cultural institution strongly preferred
- Experience with and understanding of Point-of-Sale (POS) systems, including credit card processing and accurate and secure cash handling.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays, to meet the changing needs of a dynamic retail environment.
- Basic math and data entry skills.
- Ability to safely lift to 30 lbs.
At the Computer History Museum our mission is to decode technology—its computing past, digital present, and future impact on humanity. From the heart of Silicon Valley, we share insights from our research, our events, and our incomparable collection of computing artifacts and oral histories to convene, inform, and empower people to shape a better future.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must include a cover letter, resume, and a list of 3 professional references and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to add the job title you are applying for in the subject line of your email.
At CHM, we believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success. We provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, we will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Salary Range: $80,000-85,000 annually