- Classification: Contractor
- Location: Mountain View, CA
- Department: Education
- Deadline to Apply: Friday, October 11, 2019
The Computer History Museum (CHM) seeks energetic and qualified professionals to serve as Field Trip Days Instructors in the Education department. Field Trip Days Instructors will be responsible for leading hands-on programs for middle school students from Title I schools. This role will involve learning CHM curriculum for a 1-day program and implementing discussion-based, hands-on teaching strategies. Field Trip Days Instructors will be responsible for leading a variety of aspects of the programs including content delivery, group management and orientation, data collection, and other administrative tasks.
Qualified candidates will be retained for hire as needed, to staff specific workshop dates on the following Tuesdays in 2020:
- February 25, 2020
- March 3, 2020
- April 14, 2020
- May 5, 2020
A one-day program-specific training is required and will take place on Tuesday, November 5th, 2019. Selected applicants must be available for training date and will be compensated for their time. Field Trip Days Instructors must be available for three of the four program dates listed above.
Field Trip Days shifts will be approximately 6 hours in length (typically from 9am-3pm) and team-led with Field Trip Days Instructors and Education staff.
Compensation rate is $17-$20/hour based on experience.
- Team-teach lessons that have been developed by Education staff for the Field Trip Days program
- Lead hands-on activities, small-group working sessions, and gallery discussions for middle school students, chaperones and educators
- Use training resources and Museum exhibitions to ensure sufficient knowledge of computer history and the Museum's collections
- Participate in all meetings and trainings as required
- Maintain supplies and organization of instructional materials; monitor resources and report supply levels to supervising staff; maintain teaching and storage spaces in good working order
- Report attendance numbers and other data at conclusion of each program
- Other duties as assigned
Professional Qualifications and Personal Qualities
- Bachelor's degree or significant study towards completion of degree. Preferred area of study in education, STEAM education, engineering, computer science, history, museum studies, child development, or related fields
- Minimum 1 year teaching experience in classrooms and/or informal educational settings
- Dynamic, energetic educator with demonstrated experience teaching diverse populations
- Knowledge of current trends in interactive learning technologies and STEM education in formal and informal environments
- Knowledge of youth growth and development
- Knowledge of group/classroom management techniques
- Organized, reliable, punctual, and independent
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work well with people of all ages, from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Ability and enthusiasm to learn new topics and technologies quickly
- Knowledge of Raspberry Pi technology and Python programming language a plus
- Spanish proficiency a plus
- Must be able to provide permissible documents to establish authorization to work in the US
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must email a cover letter, resume, and a list of 2 professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state the position title in the subject line.